Before I had to skip ahead I was just about to write days 21-49.
Tony and I had only been dating for three weeks when I flew to Utah for my dad & Mary Jayne's wedding. I knew I had it bad, because I actually started to miss him. It had only been three weeks, but in that three weeks we were already hanging our three days a week. I was taking 15 credits at Oregon State, working Oregon State football 40 hours a week, and traveling to away games at the time. So if Tony wanted to hang out on one of my free nights, he had to watch Desperate Housewives & Grey's Anatomy with me :) Which he agreed to!
So maybe we both had it bad.
While I was in Utah, I asked him if he had any plans for Thanksgiving (are you kidding me Holly!). Then I preceded to invite him to Seaside for the four day weekend with the family.
I can't believe he agreed to this.
Yes, we had been unofficially dating for three weeks, and I invited him home to meet the family set to be four weeks in the future. And you were beginning to think Tony was smooth!
Lets skip ahead to the Thanksgiving weekend, where it was one of the rainiest, coldest, and windiest weekends. But there I was with my cute mechanic who had recently become my cute boyfriend!
I took him around to see the sights, we went out to Fort Stevens where we were soaked by the drenching side-ways rain. We went out to South Jetty and stood out at the look out tower, where we were almost blown away. And we hiked to the top of the Astor Column to admire the view, but the heavy fogged obstructed most of it.
Back at the house we sat around the recently cleared off table of leftovers and made small talk. My mom & sister were interrogating Tony with questions. Apparently the conversation led to time lines, dates, high school graduations, etc. My mom turned to me and whispered, "Holly, I thought you said he was thirty?"
"No Mom, I said he was in his thirties."
"Ohh, that is tricky!"
After I had to ask my mom if our age difference was that important. I had spent the first few weeks of dating thinking that it should be, but never once was it ever an issue like I had expected. Tony & I would spend hours laughing and talking while we were getting to know each other. I remember walking into a room and he made me feel like the only one it. (He still does this by the way!)
Unexpectedly she said that age was not that important.
Sigh. Yes, Tony came home with me for Thanksgiving to meet the family. And even through the interrogations, the wind, the rain, and the cold, he didn't leave early.



No comments:
Post a Comment