Tucker has never been too into playing team sports and really has no interest in watching any sports (occasionally some football with us, but its hard to tell if he is watching just because the TV is on, and there is food out...) It is pulling teeth to get him to come to any games or track meets with me. This past weekend (April 2013), I took him to a double header baseball game at Linn Benton that I was working. He brought his scooter, and some books to keep himself busy. I encouraged him to maybe run after the foul balls and put them in the dugout for the team.
Two of the baseball players are always assigned to sit up on the mound and chase down the fly balls. Tucker sat up there, but he wasn't too into getting the foul balls. In the third inning, I encouraged him a couple more times and he finally made half of an effort and started to move, but one of the baseball players beat him off the hill. The baseball player gave Tucker the ball and Tucker ran the ball down. The next foul ball Tucker sprinted for and ran it to the dugout. He did this for the next 10 innings of the double header baseball game and sprinted after every single ball. I have never in my 8 years around Tucker seen him work so hard and be so attentive. EVER. THREE PLUS HOURS!
The Linn Benton baseball coaches, Coach Godfrey and Coach Hawk pulled Tucker aside after the game to tell Tucker thank you for all of his hard work and hustle and how much they appreciated him being out there. This was also a first for me and for Tucker. Tucker had never had an adult he did not know, compliment him on his hard work.
I had tears in my eyes, and Tucker was grinning to ear to ear. He had worked hard and people appreciated him and took notice. The greatest reward, helping others.
The next baseball game was on a school day, and the coaches asked where Tucker was. "Ohh man, we hope he can get out here for our next game, he's the best ball boy we've ever had!"
Tucker was at that last baseball game at Linn Benton. Working his tail off. I was so proud of Tucker. So proud to be his mother (even an evil step one!).
One Proud Momma.
No comments:
Post a Comment