Try telling a three year old girl that her baby brother has died. The one she has been waiting for. She doesn't understand the permanence of death and that there is no longer a baby in mommy's belly.
When you go to the doctor the following week, she asks you if her baby brother gets to come home now.
Read her the book, "We were gonna have a baby, but We had an angel instead" without stopping midway to choke back tears.
Try to hold your composure, when she is meeting 8 day new baby George for the first time, and she tells his mommy that our baby died, and she doesn't have a baby brother anymore.
And just when I think I have things pulled together and am out and about in the community, Lexi will tell someone that her baby brother has died and the tears start falling all over again.
Children have a gift and are able to say the things out loud, that us adults are not able to. I know Lexi is grieving and doesn't understand what happened. To be honest, none of us do.

Did Tony ever tell you that Mark had another sister? Her name was Holly (♡). She died in a farming accident when she was 6 and Mark was 7. They were best friends. This last memorial day Mark was in a dark mood and I asked him if he wanted to go take flowers to the cemetery, like we'd done in the past. His reply: "I don't need to go to the cemetery to remember my sister, I think about her all the time". Cue my heart breaking. Lexi will also think of Alex with love when she is older, and I am thankful that she won't have such a tragic memory associated with Alex as Mark does with his sister.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete