Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Tucker's Challenge: Day Six & Seven

(Tuesday) Day 6:  School, swimming, homework, and made some canned soup again.  (btw.. he may be tired of canned soup by now! Which used to be one of his favorite lunch choices.)  “I can’t wait to eat real food again!  Do you think I could have some leftover tuna (casserole) tonight?”  “Sorry… you had it last night because you helped out with chores and contributed to making dinner.  Unfortunately, you did not choose to do anything extra today.  You are welcome to buy some with your own money.”  “I don’t have any money.”  “Well, I guess you can do some chores to earn money.”  

(Wednesday) Day 7:  LAST DAY!  Tucker was listing off food items that he would like to have for the following day.  We reminded him that starting tomorrow he would be back to the normal responsibilities (if he choose to participate!)  They included picking up his room (which was currently 3 feet under dirty clothes, toys, and books), taking care of his animals, putting away clean clothes (his two loads of clean laundry were still in his laundry basket), helping out with meals, and household chores.  After the reminder… he grunted and retreated to his room.  A few minute later he came out and told me he was going to clean his room now, so he didn’t have to do it tomorrow.  (Sweet!)

Later Lexi and I walked into his room.  “It’s gonna be so nice to have my room clean again – I was getting tired of the mess.”  (You and me both!)  Clothes are put away, floor cleaned (mostly), and dirty clothes in the hamper.   Tucker also started his last two loads of laundry (yes, he dirtied four loads of laundry this week and only washed his towel once!)  I knew he put a lot of clothes in the hamper – but had no idea how many extra loads we were doing.  (And by we… I mean Tony – since he usually does the daily laundry!)

It has been a great week.  Tucker’s challenge went better than we expected.  He stuck out a whole week of it, even washing his set of dishes right after or before every meal!  I believe he enjoyed his perceived freedom and independence, but also realized it didn’t take much of his time to help out and be a part of the rewards.  Working as a family or working together was much easier than doing everything yourself.  So now he knows that 1) he can do everything himself, 2) its more rewarding working together, 3) things aren't free.  You really do have to earn money, to have money, to buy the things you want, and 3) the challenge (taking care of yourself) can return at anytime if you choose to stop working together.  (enter evil plan laugh here!)

It was a very rewarding week for all of us.  The next challenge may be cutting down on laundry… four loads in a week (with only one towel instead of his usual 5 or 6) is a lot of laundry for a medium sized human being!

No comments:

Post a Comment