Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Unexpected Blessings


Family comes in all shapes and sizes.  I have always been blessed with extra family.  Growing up in my house, it was not an uncommon theme to have extra people at our holiday dinners.  Many times they were people just getting sober or entering a recovery program who had no other place to go.  Our home was always open.    Later on in life – when I was misplaced for the holidays, I spent the holidays with a friends’ family.   I felt so awkward, and it wasn’t really their fault.  They were so used to the holidays being the four of them, that they didn't know how to include an outsider.  I have come to find out, that many people are very uncomfortable with having people outside of their immediate family participate in their traditional family gatherings.

My family (birth, adopted, step, half, etc) are all a blessing.  Long story short, they are made up of a full sibling, (at least) 4 half siblings, a step sibling, birth parents, step parents, adopted parents, step grandparents, adopted grandparents, and more adopted family.

I’ve learned, you don’t get to choose your family.  But fortunately, most of them grow to be unexpected blessings.  Turns out if you could choose your own family – you would never choose the individuals who actually end up making your family so great.  Take Tucker for example.  Never in a million years did I want to be a step-mom, or would I have ever imagined dating someone with kids. But when I met Tony & Tucker, it changed everything.  As luck would have it, Tony was an even more amazing man because he was such a great father to Tucker.  And Tucker was such a bright adorable little four year old. He was always laughing and having fun, it was contagious and he was instantly a part of me.

Being a step-mom has had even more blessings adding extra family.  In addition to my extended family and Tony’s family – we also have Tucker’s family on his mother’s side.  (This summer we went to four family reunions!)  Take Great Grandma Marge & Aunt Jeanie for example.  Two more blessings in Tucker’s life that have been wonderful to have as part of our family.  Tucker’s Aunt Sarah has become a sister over the years.  I would never have connected with any of these people without being a part of Tucker’s life and connecting with the people that love him the most.

Auntie Sarah

Great Grandma Marge

My family is made up blood relatives, half siblings, step siblings & parents, and lots of family that has been adopted along the way.  They are all unexpected blessings, and our children get to reap all the benefits of our extra family.


Grammie

No comments:

Post a Comment